December 1, 2022

Vermonters can remove junk cars for cash and compliance

Vermont Business Magazine Amid inflation and high prices, Vermonters can make extra cash by getting their unwanted cars out. In 2015, the State of Vermont created the Recovery triage rule ( in order to protect human health and the environment by ensuring the safe, correct and sustainable operation of scrap yards. Vermont residents with four or more unlicensed, uninspected cars or vehicles (or other trash) on their property need a salvage yard permit.

The Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has stepped up efforts to clean up unauthorized salvage yards and help more Vermonters follow state rules.

“More often than not, Vermonters who find they are not in compliance choose to follow the rules. They then apply for a permit, remove or donate their vehicles, or register and inspect their vehicles,” DEC Commissioner John Beling said. “We do see instances where compliance is not being met, however, and we need to take enforcement action, which may include fines.”

The DEC has some tips for Vermonters who want to follow the rules and get paid too:

  1. Contact an authorized nearby salvage yard ( to arrange pick up or drop off vehicles.

• Salvage yards often salvage vehicles for free and may offer money for scrap.

• Remove all trash from vehicles and prepare vehicles and make them accessible for pickup.

Note that vehicles less than 15 years old need the title to transfer the vehicle to a salvage yard. Vehicles 15 years or older do not need the title to be transferred.

  1. Use a towing service to bring vehicles to a salvage yard. Towing companies may accept the value of the scrap as payment for the towing service.
  2. Contact DEC for assistance in calling and coordinating vehicle removal. Contact DEC Accessible Support Specialist Jackie Peterson at 802-461-7182 or
  3. Donate vehicles, boats or RVs to Good news Garage ( Where Sierra Club Foundation ( and they will recover for free. Also benefit from a tax deduction. For more information, call Good News Garage at 877-448-3288 or Sierra Club Foundation at 855-337-4377.
  4. Register and inspect vehicles.
  5. Become a licensed salvage yard.

• To become a licensed salvage yard, complete and obtain a Approved Location Certificate ( of the city where the salvage yard is located. Then fill out a application (, submit it to Vermont Recovery Triage Program (, and pay the annual permit fee.

If Vermonters don’t follow salvage yard rules, they can face civil penalties. However, prompt correction may reduce the possibility or severity of any enforcement action.

For more information on salvage yards, permits, rules and more, visit the Recovery Program Web Page ( If Vincent Chiorgno is unavailable, contact Barb Schwendtner at 802-249-5904 or

Jth department of Environmental conservation is responsible for protecting Vermont’s natural resources and safeguarding human health for the benefit of this generation and future generations. Visit and follow the Department of Environmental Conservation on Facebook and instagram.

Montpelier, VT, October 6, 2022 – Vermont Natural Resources Agency Website