September 28, 2022

Three charged for violent clash in Darwin | Western magazine

Three men who were allegedly involved in a violent clash between two families in the Northern Territory which resulted in a man being run over by a vehicle have been charged.

The groups reportedly fought with sticks and an ax in Darwin on Saturday, injuring a number of people, Northern Territories Police said on Wednesday.

“One family group then allegedly drove a stolen motor vehicle into the other group, striking one person who then fled the scene,” a spokesperson previously said.

Video of the incident on social media shows a white Toyota Landcruiser driving at high speed through the parking lot of the Quality Hotel in the suburb of Jingili in the early hours of the morning.

A man is seen fleeing the ute before being hit by the vehicle, causing it to fall and become stuck against a wall as it passed.

“The incident appears to have been scene-to-scene, with police identifying two other people injured in prior altercations,” the spokesperson said.

Detectives arrested the three men, aged 18, 23 and 41, on Tuesday.

“The behavior of these individuals is concerning and the police will do everything in their power to keep the community safe,” the spokesperson said.

The young men were charged with unlawful use of a motor vehicle and theft.

The 41-year-old has been charged with acts intended to cause grievous bodily harm, recklessly endangering life and aggravated assault as well as charges of theft and driving.

They were remanded in custody and were due to appear in the NT Local Court in Darwin on Wednesday.

Australian Associated Press